Monday, August 27, 2012

Around the House - DIY Stain Remover Test

I was excited when saw this pin for a stain remover, because it said that it would take stains out of almost anything, even if they're old.


My first test stain is one that I've been fighting for a couple of weeks.  It's on the collar of one of my husband's shirts and I have no idea what it actually is.  I didn't discover the stain until the shirt had been washed and dried, so it's fairly set in.  Hence why I was happy that the stain remover from the pin supposedly works on old stains.  Before this stain remover test, I had also tried using Shout, and a baking soda/peroxide paste.  Alas, my stain is still evident as you can see below:


The DIY stain remover from the pin is super simple to throw together - two parts hydrogen peroxide to one part Dawn liquid dish soap.  Easy peasy.


(Note the cameo appearance by the spoon that's older and I am which also guest stars in this previous post.)


I noticed in the blog post from the original pin that the blogger washed their test garment right after applying the stain remover.  According to their picture, it did indeed remove their stains nicely.  I let it sit for about an hour, since I had no idea what my stain was actually from and it's pretty set in, having been through a few wash and dry cycles already.  I washed it in cold water and my results are below:


Bummer, man.  The stain is still visible and I don't notice any particular lightening of the stain, either.  

DIY Stain Remover Test 1 = Fail.

Later in the day, I noticed a stain on one of my daughter's t-shirts as I pulled it out of the dryer.  Clearly, I don't look closely enough at our laundry before I wash it.  I decided to try the test again to see if it would work on a stain of known circumstances.

This time, I know the stain occurred a few days ago and it's origin is chocolate frozen yogurt:


I repeated the same process as test # 1 to mix and apply the stain remover solution.  I had high hopes this time because as soon as I applied the mixture, the area of the stain bubbled up nicely, which hadn't happened at all on the previous test.  I let it sit for about an hour again and decided to try washing in warm water this time, to see if that made a difference.

The results:


Definitely lighter, but still visible.  Incidentally, I then applied Shout to the stain above and it came right out after another washing.

DIY Stain Remover Test # 2 = Fail.

Bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment