Monday, August 20, 2012

Pinterest, I Just Can't Quit You

Have you ever innocently pinned something on Pinterest that looked easy to do, only to have it all go horribly wrong when you tried out the pin for yourself? I have, more than once. Have you experienced the euphoria of discovering that some of the pins on Pinterest actually work? I've done that also. How about some pins that once you tried them, just left you thinking, "Meh." Yeah, me too.

According to my pins, I have aspirations to do the following, among other things:

- Make every meal for the rest of my life in my crock pot.
- Make my own clothes from random old t-shirts even though I can't sew.
- Build some furniture from assorted detritus like pallets, match sticks and Elmer's glue even though I've barely even swung a hammer like, ever.
- Paint my own wall art even though I can't even draw stick figures.
- Grow a green thumb and plant things that I'll expect to grow, when I've killed every plant we've ever had.
- Oh, and also spray paint the shit out of everything in sight. And maybe slap on a monogram sticker or two for good measure.

Why do I want to do all of these things, you ask? Because Pinterest makes it look SO easy. Snip, snip, glue, sew and you have a handy dandy scarf! Look! I made this awesome bookshelf from old pallets - awesome. All you need to make this cool picture is some spray paint and leaves, simple! Throw these three ingredients in your crock pot and voila, three course meal - great!

So, we've established that I can't sew, knit, paint, draw, crochet or anything else even remotely crafty. I'm a fairly decent cook, although my skills definitely fall on the side of home cook as opposed to gourmet chef. I've decided to try out some pins, to see if even a non-crafty, chef-y, builder-y type can actually succeed at various Pinterest projects that are proclaimed SO EASY by people who have years of crafting, chef'ing, building, etc. under their belts. I figure that documenting it here will 1) actually make me try some of the stuff I pin and 2) possibly help other non-crafty types in their quest to make sew, build, paint, cook, etc.

This should get interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment